Want to be a reporter or would you like to buy a report for the best price?
Just Sign Up here!
Privacy guidelines License our content Help
America's ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, has warned that Washington "remains prepared to act if we must," if the UN Security Council fails to act over the latest Syrian attacks on the eastern Ghouta enclave, reported SBS News (Australia).
Haley said on Monday that the US had asked the Security Council to demand an immediate 30-day ceasefire in Damascus and eastern Ghouta, where Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces, backed by Russia and Iran, continue shelling the rebel-held eastern Ghouta enclave
The army's onslaught in eastern Ghouta, backed by air and artillery strikes, has killed about 1,160 people since February 18, a war monitor said, as Assad seeks to crush the last big rebel stronghold near the capital Damascus.
"It is not the path we prefer, but it is a path we have demonstrated we will take, and we are prepared to take again," Haley told the 15-member Security Council.
"When the international community consistently fails to act, there are times when states are compelled to take their own action."
The United States bombed a Syrian government air base last year over a deadly chemical weapons attack.
The Security Council demanded a 30-day ceasefire across Syria in a unanimously adopted February 24 resolution.
Russia and Damascus say a ceasefire ordered by the UN Security Council does not protect the fighters in eastern Ghouta, arguing that they are members of banned terrorist groups.
Earlier on Monday, Jaish al-Islam, one of the main rebel groups in Syria's eastern Ghouta, said it had reached an agreement with the government's ally Russia to evacuate wounded people from the besieged enclave near Damascus.
Bit a UN humanitarian spokeswoman said the United Nations was not part of that deal and still called for the urgent evacuation of more than 1,000 sick and wounded people in eastern Ghouta.
The assault on Ghouta is one of the heaviest in the war, which enters its eighth year this week.
Thousands of families are sleeping in the open in the streets of the biggest town in the enclave, where there is no longer any room in packed cellars to shelter from government bombardment, local authorities said on Monday.
And in an apparent sign of local discontent with the rebel policy of holding out, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group reported that hundreds of people protested in the town of Kafr Batna to demand a deal to end the onslaught.
Russia’s UN Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia told the UN Security Council on Monday that the Syrian government has “every right to try and remove the threat to the safety of its citizens” and described the Damascus suburbs as a “hotbed of terrorism.” – Middle East Monitor (UK).
The Syrian army’s onslaught in eastern Ghouta, backed by air and artillery strikes, has killed about 1,160 people since 18 February, a war monitor said, as President Bashar al-Assad seeks to crush the last big rebel stronghold near the capital Damascus.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights learned from several local sources that there was a protest of more than 700 citizens of Kafrbatna town, which is controlled by Al-Rahman Corps, aiming at “having settlement in the city to avoid military operation and fighting and stopping the bloodshed of civilians”. Local sources stressed to the SOHR that masked snipers stationed on building in the town opened their fire at the protest, resulting in the death of a citizens and injury of 6 others with different severity, amid tension and resentment among the protestors of being targeted.
Kafrbatna town and the cities of Hamoriyah and Saqba witnessed negotiations between dignitaries of these three towns and cities with the regime forces through meditation between resident merchants in the capital Damascus to reach a solution on Ghouta in the aforementioned areas, following series of aerial, rocket and missile shelling on the Ghouta over 23 consecutive days since the 18th of February
The SOHR published in the past hours that this calm which has been prevailing Kafr Batna, Hamouriyah, Saqba and Zamalka since last night, and prevailing Arbin and the other areas since today morning, comes in the light of the negotiations taking place between dignitaries from specific towns and cities in the Eastern Ghouta of Damascus located in its south-west, and the regime’s authorities, through mediators who are merchants in the capital Damascus.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights published yesterday that it obtained information from several reliable sources; that negotiations are taking place between dignitaries from specific cities and towns in the Eastern Ghouta and regime’s authority, where the sources confirmed that negotiations are being carried out through merchants from the Eastern Ghouta who are in the capital Damascus, and they are working to mediate between the regime and elders of the cities of Hamouriyah and Saqba and KafrBatna town, which are controlled by Rahman Corps in the southern section of the Eastern Ghouta, where the negotiations are seeking to reach a solution on these three towns, of which the elders are involved in the negotiations.
show source https://www.sbs.com.au/news/it-s-not-the-path-we-prefer-us-warns-it-may-act-on-syria-as-ghouta-onslaught-continues http://www.syriahr.com/en/?p=86576